Google Analytics goals are more flexible, powerful and yet do not need to install codes on the website.
A summary to distinguish conversions and goals for your digital marketing efforts:
- Conversions: Measured in Google Adwords.
- Default 30 days life span.
- Need to install codes in webpages.
- Goals: Measured in Google Analytics.
- In GA v5, “My conversions”, click the gear button at top right, “Profiles”, “Goals”
- More powerful, can be view of key page (similar to conversion), time on site, page/visit, event
- Measures all traffic, including non-paid
- Allow regular expression matching of target URL
- Can also assign to a funnel (list of goals)
Instructions to link Google Analytics goals into Adwords here.
Things to highlight here:
- The “Import from Google Analytics” will only show up around 24 hours after the first click on your ads that result in goals
- Data from the day you click “import” will only be available 2 weeks later!
- Past data is not imported.